Thursday, June 18, 2009

21st Birthday Egyptian Style & Dirty Prostitutes

I still cannot fully absorb the idea that I am 21. Like all other birthdays, I did not feel any older. A 21st birthday is just a concept we have in the U.S. of finally being able to purchase and consume alcohol. It's not like I feel more like an adult. Responsibilities and experiences have gradually built the person I am today. As well as my wonderful family's love, support, and knowledge, I am an adult.

To be honest, I really wanted to celebrate my 21st birthday, American-style on the day of my birthday. So many free items I could have received. However, when I arrive back in the states, I know my friends will celebrate my birthday as if it were my birthday that first day I see them. With that said, I really enjoyed my birthday with my cousins, even though I studied the majority of the day for my history class. They were sneaky enough, having another language to speak in, to throw a surprise birthday party for me! My aunt and May baked me a cake and other delicious foods. I had birthday balloons and even a band. ; ) Okay, so the band didn't play, but the youngest Ude teacher in the Middle East played. Sherif even bought me my first legal drink. I had the Egyptian beer, Stella. I'm so thankful for them, and especially thankful for my brother, Hytham, who helped me with my trip to Egypt and encouraged me every step of the way. I only wish he could have the opportunity I have to come to Egypt. One day, I know we will both come back together.

For the past two weeks, I've been very busy, reading chapters for my 3 week intensive history course. I was really worried intially, but it turns out I am on track. I received the best grade on the quiz we took 2 days ago, and I just confidently finished my Midterm, part I. Part II is on Sunday. I will be traveling to Alexandria this weekend, so I will have more pictures. Hopefully, I'll be able to relax with all the readings I must get done for Sunday. All my pictures are on Facebook, but I really don't have as many as I would like to. Soon, I'll have more pictures.

So a very scary event happened to me yesterday. I have never been to New York city or any other large city alone as a woman. I have experienced annoying men before in America, as well as Egypt on my previous trip. However, this time was different. I was standing near a bank, away from the traffic. it was 2:45pm, and I was just dropped off by the coach bus I take to the new AUC campus every day. I was waiting for my cousin, May, to pick me up, but with traffic, it's a little difficult to be exactly on time. After about 5 minutes, an older man in his late 40s early 50s, pulled over in his nice red vehicle. It was a brand I did not know of, but I knew it was a newer expensive car.

I accidentally made eye contact, someone women should not do with the lower classes in Egypt. Since the poverty is immensely increasing, there has been more loitering, crime, harassing, and prostitution. The man apparently thought that I was a woman that was waiting to get "picked up" for some money. I motioned him to go away and said so in Arabic. He moved slightly, and thankfully, a traffic policeman saw him and motioned him away. I walked into the bank to stay hidden. After a couple minutes, I walked back out to see if May was there yet. Instead, the man drove around again to annoy me. I went back inside the bank, scared that he would park and come over to me. I knew if I went into the bank, or even into the bathroom and locked myself there, he couldn't do anything.

He left and I came back out. For a 3rd time, he came back and was laughing. A traffic policeman shooed him away again. Thankfully, Ryan must have sensed the need to call me. It was 6:45am for him. I am so happy he did, because it calmed me down a bit and distracted the man. May finally came, and I jumped into her car. What's ironic is, I was not wearing anything revealing. I wore exactly what May would have worn in public. I guess veiled women and others are the ones that ruin it for all women here in Egypt. They prostitute themselves to make some money for their families that have lost their jobs and incomes. It must be ignored and accepted, or unknown in the family. I don't understand how a woman can cover her body and treat it like this. It's absolutely disgusting.

My cousins are very moderate and not traditional at all. They believe it's silly to cover one's body, especially when we can't even see a woman's face. You can barely see a woman's eyes, and when May is at the clinic (she's a doctor), completely veiled women in black greet her. May is unable to greet her back. She has absolutely no clue who this woman is. There's no name tag. Haha. We find it very comedic. Also, some women wear the veil over her head, but wear tight clothing.

I'm sorry, but a woman's figure is a lot more seductive to a man than her hair. According to one's family, a woman has a choice whether or not to wear a veil. Similar to American society, there are traditionalists and very conservative people. Some families, fathers and mothers, require their daughter to be veiled, or at least take away privileges or treat her less than human. However, this is not always the case.

To solve this issue, Egypt's president needs to lose his power already after 30 years in rule, and there needs to be hope and education. The public school system is horrible and is not doing it's job. Teachers are not teaching because they are not making enough money. Instead, they provide "private" (after school) lessons for any students that wants to be taught. Each student would pay for these private lessons. Tell me this isn't corrupt.

Political problems are not providing the people with hope. Several people like Obama, but don't believe he will change anything. Without certain rights and freedoms, I don't blame Egyptians for not having hope for the future. They're living in a society stuck in the past that's fighting the modernity, religious and political issues.

Anyways, that's enough of Egypt's issues. I am enjoying my trip, with the ups and downs. My family here is absolutely amazing, and I'm so happy to be with them!!! I miss you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment