Sunday, June 7, 2009

Egypt is one big maze.

What is one of the biggest problems in Egypt? Organization, hands down. The management needs significant improvement because there is no proper training or regulation. The streets are crazy, but I'm used to that. No lanes, really. Very little traffic lights and stop signs; instead, they use their horns. That is their way of communication while driving. It's noisy and scary because you feel like someone will hit you 24/7 whether you're walking or in the car.

I had much difficulty with the American University of Cairo. Since Obama came to Cairo last Thursday, it was advised for several people to stay at home and try not to attend work. My cousin's exam got rescheduled because they knew it would be difficult to drive around the city. The country blocked streets as to clear the roads for Obama, and there was the topmost security. I, as an American, would have been allowed to see Obama speak, but my cousins do not have those rights. I wasn't going to go alone. Instead, we watched the speech on TV. If you haven't yet seen the speech, I recommend you do!

Another thing that bothers me about the culture is if one does know an answer, they instead lie or tell half the truth. Every time we asked for directions (note that my cousin is Egyptian so she knows how to talk to people), we would receive an answer, but would not know it was not true until we tried following the directions. I was getting so very annoyed on the campus. First off, I did not receive any communication regarding my courses I was planning on taking nor did I receive any information about the student orientation I was supposed to attend. I emailed several times and called numerous phony numbers (like I said before, it's accustomed they'd give you an answer, regardless if it holds validity or not). It was the most frustrating college experience ever!!! On top of that, my student id wasn't working correctly and my IS course got cancelled. That meant I had to drop my other course because no other class would fit in the schedule and would fulfill one of my requirements at UW-L. So I'd end up paying a very large sum for the AUC for no beneficial classes except for pure enjoyment. How about not.

Right now I am hopefully scheduled for a history and a sociology course. I attended both of them today so I hope I am registered. My student ID still doesn't work at one entrance, but I think it's because the gate is new. I figured out the bus schedule. I will be taking a coach bus to and from a place my cousins drop me off. This is nicer and easier for my cousins, also it's air conditioned on the bus. However, today was way too hott, especially in jeans. I don't know how they do it. I'm not wearing jeans tomorrow. I was dying today! I might have to just change when I arrive at the campus.

Since today was my first day, I tried very hard to speak as much Arabic as I could. I receive a few compliments, and I'm happy for that. I need significant improvement though. I already made 2 friends, who are guys (one is Egyptian and one is American). I haven't met any girls yet. There are several girls, but all were Egyptian. They seemed to already have their friends. Hopefully, I will improve my Arabic more and I will feel more comfortable communicating in Arabic. Right now, I just use polite and simple words or phrases.

I took a few pictures of the campus and the scenery, so I will post the pictures on Facebook soon. It's officially one week until my 21st birthday, and I can't wait for this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment